The idea of gratitude constantly eludes me. Why is it so hard? In the midst of bemoaning my lack of freedom and the harm inflicted on me in the past, I find it hard to focus on being thankful with what I already possess. Yesterday, I caught a glimpse of what it feels like to be content and grateful. True, I do lack certain freedoms that others take for granted, but they can be won in a court of law. True, I did suffer harm, but I'm still standing like so many other brave women out there. True, I have an ongoing issue that may never get resolved, but that makes me stronger. In that moment, I did feel free...nothing could touch me. I am almost finished graduate school (whew!), rock at wii fitness, and own the ability to combine the emotional with the intellectual. I danced last night--truly joyful to be alive. Now, that state will probably come and go, but I will try and hold on to it a little longer...and recognize it when it's here.

No comments:
Post a Comment